- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Place the chicken in a large roasting tin, rub the oil all over it and sprinkle with a little sea salt and plenty of ground black pepper. Squeeze over the juice of 2 of the lemon wedges and roast for 1¼ hours.
- Add the bacon to the roasting tin and cook for a further 10 minutes until the bacon is crisp and the chicken is cooked and golden.
- Remove the chicken and bacon from the tin and set aside on a board. Add the bread to the roasting tin and toss well with the pan juices. Roast for 8-10 minutes until golden.
- Roughly chop the bacon, together with the chicken leg and thigh meat, into pieces (reserve the chicken breasts for the soup, overleaf). Place the cos lettuce and rocket in 4 serving bowls, then top with the chicken, bacon and croutons.
- Whizz the anchovies, garlic and Dijon in a small food processor until mixed. Pour in the extra-virgin olive oil and squeeze in the juice from the remaining lemon wedges. Toss the dressing through the salad and sprinkle with the grated Parmesan.
If you cook a whole chicken to make the chicken Caesar salad, you can make the roast chicken and summer vegetable soup as well. If you just want to make the salad, roast 6 chicken thighs, slashed, in the same way, for 15-20 minutes. For a creamy blue cheese dressing, swap the anchovy fillets for a little Dolcelatte.